~Understanding begins, but does not end, with the act of perception~

"Welcome to your life.."

"For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin--real life. But there was ALWAYS some OBSTACLE in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life."

-- Alfred D. Souza

Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Story of Oil and Water

    Once Upon A Time when the World was new and all the things in it lived more harmoniously together, Oil and Water were very fond of each other. They could spend hours together and it brought them great joy being in each others company. Oil would say to Water,
    “Don’t you love how we can mix together so easily, even though we are different?” and Water would agree. Then Water would say to Oil,
    “I hope we stay like this forever.” and Oil would agree.
   
    The days of the World grew greater and greater, and everything in it became less and less new and less and less and less harmonious together.Gravity began to pull things against each other. Cats and Dogs were no longer friends, Bird and Fish no longer chatted at the banks of the River. Even the Sun and the Moon began using the sky separately as so not to have to speak to one another. A great divide between all living things began, and even Oil and Water felt the strain. One day, Water looked at Oil and said,
    “You do seem to be weighing rather heavily upon me these days. Perhaps you should let me float on top of you for a while.” This hurt Oils feelings,
    “What do you mean I weigh on you?”, asked Oil, “Has it ever occurred to you that I get tired of holding you up all the time?”
    “Why must we always bicker like this Oil,” asked Water, weary of their increasingly frequent arguments, “We always used to get along so well!”. Oil thought about this for a moment and then replied,
    “Things have changed.”.
    “Do you think they will ever go back to the way they were?” ask Water.
    “I do not know.” said Oil. “Maybe it is best if we separate for a while... Maybe someday we’ll float back together again naturally, like we once did.” This made Water sad.
    “I will miss you Oil.” said Water.
    “I will miss you too, Water.” said Oil.

    So Oil and Water separated. They spent days apart, and days turned into weeks, and the World got older and older and Gravity pulled harder and harder on all the things in it. One day Water called to Oil,
    “Oil, I still miss you so!!” and Oil called up to Water,
    “Water, I still miss you too!! Perhaps we should try to mix together now? Perhaps things have changed again?” Oil said hopefully, and so they threw themselves against one another, but no matter how hard they tried they could not mix together as they once did. After many tries, Water called to Oil,
    “Oil...I’m afraid we no longer fit together..”. Oil sighed and settled back to the bottom,
    “I’m afraid so, Water... I am sorry. I’ve tried everything I can think of.”.
    “We did the best we could, old friend.”, said Water, “I am sorry too.”.

    That day the force of Gravity became so great on them that they could no longer even speak a sound, and Oil and Water have been separated ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment