~Understanding begins, but does not end, with the act of perception~

"Welcome to your life.."

"For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin--real life. But there was ALWAYS some OBSTACLE in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life."

-- Alfred D. Souza

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

DAISY PUSHING BUCKET KICKING

I’m not dying.

Not immediately at any rate, though we are all marching steadily towards dust and ash and air.
I’m not dying today.
But if I were dying-
And it’s important to think about this-


If this was my last day on earth…..


I’d leave all the money in my pocket to the waitress who brings me my coffee
And
I’d take off work to stay home and play with my dog in the grass
And
I’d drink martinis until I figured out how I like them
And
I’d tell you I love you.
And
I’d visit all the museums in New York
And
I’d stuff myself with junk food and candy
And
I’d wish that I’d seen more of America, and more of the world.
And
I’d dress to the nines and be glad I spent my paychecks on shoes and shiny things.
And
I’d go dancing
And
I’d tell you I love you again
And
I’d leave something behind,
Something more than an empty space.
So you could know after I was gone that I had been there.


I‘m not dying...
But perhaps with such a long to-do list,
I should live as if I were.

No comments:

Post a Comment