~Understanding begins, but does not end, with the act of perception~

"Welcome to your life.."

"For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin--real life. But there was ALWAYS some OBSTACLE in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life."

-- Alfred D. Souza

Friday, May 14, 2010

A Man and a Woman on the Street

I liked the way he looked at her
Tender, sweet.
Anybody would have bet he was a beast beneath his work clothes.
Dark like Africa and tall.
A head full of dreads.

I liked the way he looked at her,
Tender, kind.
Even though she was short and skinny
with uneven freckles and a frizzy tangle of curls,
hiding away under her bohemian fabrics.

I liked the way he looked at her.
Tender, gentle.
Hands in his pockets, maybe he was undressing her with his eyes..
It didnt look that way to me,
but I was just a passer by.

A man and a woman on the street.
I liked the way he looked at her.
Tender, sweet.

1 comment:

  1. It seems very tender and sweet to write so charitably about complete strangers. I like this.

    ReplyDelete