~Understanding begins, but does not end, with the act of perception~

"Welcome to your life.."

"For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin--real life. But there was ALWAYS some OBSTACLE in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life."

-- Alfred D. Souza

Monday, April 5, 2010

Uptown; This Time Last Year

To Harlem, With Love-

This time last year,
Uptown,
I had an apartment that was small and
didn't really belong to me and
I loved it.




Walking across the Madison Avenue Bridge
in the New York City Summer Heat,




Listening to the thunderstorms roll up the island.

Stealing wireless from out of thin air to fuel the
beginnings of my Pandora love-affair,
running from rehearsal to rehearsal to rehearsal and
working 3 days a week.




We rode the bus one morning,
hungover and in matching ensembles
with my dog in a bag,
and thanked God for Greek diners.



You left your shoes in the middle of my floor
and your reflection in my mirror.

Now, back on the tree-lined streets of Suburbia,
I miss the sunlight on the East River.
I miss Kennedy's Fried Chicken at 2 am, 
and the obnoxious smell of burnt death 
escaping from the apartment across the hall.

New York.
You Know.
I Need You.

No comments:

Post a Comment