~Understanding begins, but does not end, with the act of perception~

"Welcome to your life.."

"For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin--real life. But there was ALWAYS some OBSTACLE in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life."

-- Alfred D. Souza

Monday, September 4, 2017

Long Stretch

Maybe I am 17 again

Briefly. 
Driving a long stretch of highway 
With just my knee on the steering wheel. 

I wasn't even 17 when we were together. 
But it feels like-
2.5 hrs into our conversation-
That maybe 
In this moment 
I am again

Phone on speaker
Radio turned down
The summer sun closing on the horizon

Only difference is
My daughter asleep in her car seat
The talk of my ex-husband
The way you sound when you say 
You've been alone

The way I have too. 

But when we finally hang up-
On purpose-
(Dropped calls from bad reception don't count)
I've cruised passed almost 200 miles

I might be 17 again
For just a minute

Younger than I was the first time
Smarter than I was the last time

Two hundred miles between
The ringing 
And the dial tone


Filled with the sound of your voice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment